Russel Brothers Limited   OWEN SOUND, ONTARIO   Steelcraft Boat Builders
HOME
Mc Niel

13D 20628 is the number on the bow. The plaque gives several specs: 28 feet long, 8 feet wide, 7 g.t. Interestingly, the engine is quoted as 27 HP 3 cylinder Lister Dursley engine made in England, serial number 21FR3ME2. There are only 3 28' 7 g.t. Russels in the registry, Woceka II, Madeline M and Constance H. but none link up with Consolidated Bathurst.

SB notes about the plaque shown below: The c. 1930 build date in Owen Sound is suspect, as the operation moved to Owen Sound only in 1937. This was obviously NOT the last logging boat built in North America if it is in fact of 1930's vintage, which does seem plausible given the battered state of the hull.

RBF notes: There's a photo on the other side of the plaque showing the Mc Niel with her former cabin. The small old photo of Mc Niel also shows what looks to be wooden cabins which fits with a 1930 build in Fort Frances. They apparently made quite a few steel boats with wooden cabins. The 1930 build would've taken place in Fort Frances, ON and not Owen Sound as stated on the plaque.


ENLARGE to 1024 pixels wide
HOME
ENLARGE to 600 DPI SCAN

 


ENLARGE to 1024 pixels wide
HOME
ENLARGE to 600 DPI SCAN

 


ENLARGE to 1024 pixels wide
HOME
ENLARGE to 600 DPI SCAN

 

YC notes (Aug. 2006): The boat is not in the "Parc des Loisirs" anymore... it's back in the river and still in use. It's probably owned by the municipality of St-Roch de Mekinac, just as Grandes Piles owns The Piles and The Nikauba.

ENGLISH TRANSLATION (loosely done by Steve Briggs)

This boat was built around 1930 in Owen Sound, Ont. by Russel-Hipwell.

Powered by a 3 cylinder engine developing 27 HP, the engine was made in England by Lister Dursly, serial number 21FR3ME2. 28 feet long by 8 feet wide and 10 feet tall, the steel boat weighs close to 7 Imperial tons.

Owned by Consolidated Bathurst, it was used in the Gatineau river log drive in the Ouatouais.

The St-Maurice River Drive (STMRD) Company purchased the McNeil from Ontario, for use in Grandes-Piles, QC.

The cabin was rebuilt in June 1987 to ease the work of the operaters and deck hands.

Between 1987 and 1991, before autumn ice-up, the boat towed barges loaded with logs and anchors. The boat was also used to open and close booms.
(YC clarifies: To understand what logging was in the 80's, one must know that the river was shared. Logging operations were conducted during the week and logs were confined in a "boom corridor' between St-Roch and Grand-Mère. The logs were enclosed in booms on weekends and released at the beginning of the week by opening the booms. Opening a boom meant releasing one end to let the logs free, closing meant blocking the path of the logs by installing a boom from one pillar to another or from one side of the river to the other. The company had to clean some parts of the river and the best way not to leave anything behind was to load stray logs in barges. The anchors were used to anchor the booms because it was not always possible to tie them to the shore.)

The STMRD donated the boat to the village of St. Roch de Mekinac in June 1998, prior to ceasing operations in Dec. 1998. The company was started in 1908.

Since its arrival in St. Roch, it has been displayed in the Parc Des Loisirs. The boat is probably one of the last logging boats to have been built in North America.

 

For more Russel exhibits visit Owen Sound Marine & Rail Museum 1165 1st Ave West, Owen Sound, ON N4K 4K8
(519) 371-3333     http://marinerail.com