Russel Brothers Limited OWEN SOUND, ONTARIO Steelcraft Boat Builders
|Shannon Terry / Newago|
Sand Shadow / Ellen Marie
Steel fish tug a] Shannon Terry was built in 1939 as Hull 340. Launched in 1940. Later named b] Newago. Article in The Great Lakes Fisherman, January 1981, page 6. 43’ LOA, 38’ LWL. 165 hp Perkins Diesel. 17 g.t. Paul Capel notes: Ellen Marie was Shannon Terry, built for Jess Jones in 1940. Was later owned by Pilon Fisheries in Southampton. Pilons rebuilt this boat longer & wider. The boat was then sold to Ted Farmer who rebuilt superstructure and renamed it NEWAGO. Vessel was next sold to Don Capel who completed and finished the interior. NEWAGO was then sold to Greg Beresford who kept it in Meaford. While in Meaford Greg had Richardsons install a diesel engine and refurbished it yet again. He spent a considerable money on it and in fact made a YACHT (d] Ellen Marie) out of it. RBF Notes: Reported by current owner 2004, to be a Russel Built fishing trawler. Ex c] Sand Shadow. Appears not to have been registered as either. Current owner, Louis Talirico. Previous owner, Gregory Stephen Beresford.
Sand Shadow. Text on back reads "Built originally a Russel Brothers Fish Tug price $567.00. Sand Shadow - built 1939 Rebuilt 1986 Meaford." Paul Capel Collection.
Wording of the plaque from the model photos above:
MODELS OF THE SHIPS OF GEORGIAN BAY
CRUISING TUG SAND SHADOW
Built by the Russel Brothers Company of Owen Sound in 1939, this boat was
originally named the SHANNON & TERRY by its owner, Jesse Jones who used
it for fishing in Owen Sound Bay.
Following the death of Mr. Jones, the boat was sold to Pylon (sic) Fisheries in
1959, and they renamed it PYLON (sic) BROTHERS using it in the Southampton
In 1972 she was purchased by Ted Farmer who renamed it NEYWAGO (sic) and
used it for a dive boat at Tobermory. He changed the length of the boat from
35 feet to 39 feet, and the beam from 9.5 to 13.5 feet.
Two years later in 1974 she was again sold to Don Capel, the builder of this
model, who refitted the interior for cruising as a pleasure yacht.
The boat was again sold in 1980 to Greg Bearsford (sic) of Meaford, who renamed
it SAND SHADOW, a diesel engine was installed and a radar unit added when
the boat was rebuilt and the interior redesigned to include a central ???????
system at a total cost of $200,000.
The Bearsford (sic) family sold the boat in 1985 to Lawrence Swift of Pickering,
a member of the Canadian Coast Guard. The Swifts lived aboard the SAND
SHADOW year round in Pickering harbour until Mr. Swift was transferred
to the Central Regional headquarters of the Coast Guard in Sarnia. The
Swifts moved her to Sarnia and she has been located there ever since.
LOAN COURTESY THE MARINE & RAIL MUSEUM, OWEN SOUND, ON.
MODEL BUILT BY DON CAPEL, OWEN SOUND
Photos from the Paul Capel Collection
Ellen Marie. - Owner and Previous owner claim she's Russel built Fishing Trawler.
Photo by Robert B. Farrow (Thunder Bay, ON Sept 4, 2004).
RBF notes: Ellen Marie in Thunder Bay, Jan. 21, 2006.
Matthew Carlson of Thunder bay Tug Services says (Mar. 23, 2017): Ellen Marie in Thunder Bay yacht club, just took them. We're icebreaking right now. Click to enlarge to 600 pixels.For more Russel exhibits visit Owen Sound Marine & Rail Museum 1165 1st Ave West, Owen Sound, ON N4K 4K8
(519) 371-3333 http://marinerail.com