|W. A. C. 4 / E. A. Rockett|
Paul E. No. 1
Canadian List of Shipping 1956: E. A. Rockett [C.177427] registered at Halifax; built at Owen Sound in 1945. 73'1 x 20'1 x 7'6; 97 g.t.; 32 n.t.; 400 hp. Owned by New Brunswick international Paper Co., Montreal. Formerly W. A. C. 4. Canadian List of Shipping 1970: Steel tug [C.177427] registered at Halifax. Built at Owen Sound and launched as a] W. A. C. No. 1945 – 1946. She measures 73'; 97 g.t. Renamed b] E. A. Rockett 1946 - 1976. Acquired by McKiel-Marine, Ltd. and renamed c] Paul E. No. 1 1976 – 19---. In commission. See clipping file for pic. Ownership changes: Canadian Government (1944 - 1945), New Brunswick International Paper Co., Ltd. Montreal, P.Q. Canada (1946- 1976), Allied Tug & Barge Services, Ltd.
Windsor, Ont. Canada (1976- 1981), M.B.L. International Contractors, Inc., Windsor, Ont. Canada (1981- 1983),
LeBrun Constructors, Ltd., Thunder Bay, Ont. Canada (1983 - ). Mac Mackay notes: The War Assets Corp needed tugs because it had rafts of surplus naval vessels to maintain, and move around in such ports as Shelburne, Halifax, Sydney, Sorel, Hamilton, etc., Some were to be sold for scrap, others for re-use, so WAC had to move the vessels from navy bases to layup yards, and look after them.
WAC therefore took its pick of surplus naval tugs do this work. In some cases they then chartered the tugs to tug companies to actually run them, provide crews, etc.,
When the bulk of the surplus naval vessels had been sold, WAC then sold their tugs.