Russel Brothers Limited   OWEN SOUND, ONTARIO   Steelcraft Boat Builders
HOME
From the Company Brochure "Steelcraft Powerful Diesel Tugs"
GLEN CLASS
WWII
NAVY TUGS

 

GLEN
CLASS

In all, 20 Glen class tugs were built, 11 by Russel Bros., 5 in Kingston by Canadian Dredge & Dock, 3 wooden hull ones built by McKenzie Barge and Derrick, Vancouver, and 1 wooden hull built by LeBlanc Shipbuilding, Weymouth, N.S. The 3 wooden hulled Glen's (NOT Russel built) on the west coast were the Glendevon, Glendon and the Glenholme, the latter was completed in 1945 , but was never commissioned into Naval service. The Glendevon has now been converted into a private yacht by Art Anderson - see http://www.glendevon.org The Glendon has went through several owners and name changes (1) North Arm Highlander, (2) Golden Explorer (3) Timberwolf (4) back to Golden Explorer. The only wooden Glen tug that built on the East coast was to be named the Glenwood, but the war ended when she was 59% completed, was then sold to Saint John Drydock, completed and named Ocean Weka. The HMCS Glenholme ( never commissioned), was renamed: M.J.Scalon, C.P.Yorke, Trojan and now back to Glenholme. These wooden Glen's were all built by Mackenzie Barge and Derrick Co., Ltd, Vancouver, B.C. They are 80' x 18' 4' x 10' 4", displacement: 155 tons. The Glendevon and the Glendon were outfitted with 6cyl. Vivian engines while the Glenholme had a 6 cyl. Enterprise. A Russel Bros. Glen tug on the west coast, still in operation, is the former HMCS Glenora, renamed Lotbiniere, now named Glenshiel. - Edison Horton, Aug. 2006.

Russel built Glen Class Navy Tugs
Official Number
Canadian Navy Number
NAME
DESIGN
LAUNCHED
(W24)
452
Glendower
A
19/05/43
(W25)
453
Glenlea
A
20/07/43
(W26)
532
Glenora
A
18/09/43
(W27) 178534
533
Glenmont
A
27/10/43
(W30) 177886
534
Glenada
A
18/11/43
(W37)
795
Glencove
B
10/06/44
(W43) 179311
YTM 504
796
Glenlivet
B
11/07/44
(W63) 371770
YTM 500
888
Glenside
B
22/08/44
(W64) 371760
YTM 501
889
Glenbrook
B
23/09/44
(W65) 371772
YTM 502
890
Glenevis
B
21/10/44
(W68)
YTM 503
891
Glendyne
B
1945

Russel built Glen tugs all had the same design hulls, length 80'6", beam 20'7" and draught 9'8".
DESIGN A had a longer main deck house, extending aft over the engineroom, same height bulwarks from foward to aft. A room extension on the aft end of the wheelhouse. Lifeboat mounted on the bridgedeck aft of the stack. Powered by 1 Vivian diesel, 8 cylinders (9" x 12") 320 hp (400 hp with supercharger). DESIGN B had a shorter main deck house with a trunk style cabin over the engineroom and a lower mid-ship bulwarks. Steel hull and the wheelhouse only on the bridge deck. Life boat mounted athwartship over the engine house, aft of the main deck house. Powered by 1 Enterprise diesel, 6 cylinders (12" x 15") 400hp.

 

Edison Horton notes:
RUSSEL BROS. GLEN CLASS TUGS

The Glen Class tugs were built during the 1942/45 DND Shipbuilding Program. They consisted of three (3) designs. Two (2) were of steel hull construction and the other was of wooden hull construction.

The steel hull tugs all had the same hull design and dimensions ( length 80', beam 20', draught 9' 8" ). Displacement- 170 tons.

The 2 types or designs were the Long House and the Short House. Long House: this type had the main deck house extending aft over the engineroom, same height bulwarks extending the entire length of the hull. Steel hull, wooden wheelhouse, a room extension on the aft side of the wheelhouse. Lifeboat mounted on the bridge deck, aft of the exhaust funnel. Tugs of this type built by Russel Bros were: GLENADA, GLENDOWER, GLENORA, GLENMONT and GLENLEA. These tugs were all powered with 8 cyl. Vivian engines. Built by Vivian Engine Works, Vancouver, B.C.

Short House: this type had a shorter main deck house with a trunk style house over the engineroom, raised bulwarks, forward and aft. Steel hull, wooden wheelhouse, lifeboat mounted thwartship on the enginehouse. Tugs of this type built by Russel Bros. were: GLENBROOK, GLENCOVE, GLENDYNE, GLENEVIS, GLENLIVET and GLENSIDE. The tugs were all powered with 6 cyl. Enterprise engines. Built by Enterprise Engine and Foundry, San Francisco, CA, U.S.A.

 

An as yet un-named and factory-fresh 80' Glen class tug newly completed
and undergoing sea trials in Owen Sound Bay.

ENLARGE to 1024 pixels wide
HOME
ENLARGE to 600 DPI SCAN

Likely different view of the boat above.

ENLARGE to 1024 pixels wide
HOME
ENLARGE to 600 DPI SCAN

 

Glenada - Melba Croft Notes: Particulars of Canadian War- Vessels Building & Projected., Glenada [C.N.534] launched 23/11/1943. Canadian List of Shipping 1956: Glenada [C.177886] registered at Montreal; built at Owen Sound in 1943, 73'2 x 20' x 7'5; 101 g.t.; 25 n.t.; 320 hp. Owned by National Harbours Board, Ottawa. GAO Notes: Steel tug Glenada [C.177886] built by Russel Bros, Ltd., at Owen Sound, Ontario in 1943. Owned by Sandrin Bros., Sarnia until 1995, when acquired by Thunder Bay Tug Services, Thunder Bay Ontario. See also Griffon, F. A, Johnson and Donna B. and Richard M. Marshall clipping files. 
CLICK FOR PHOTO
PHOTOS

Glenbrook - Particulars of Canadian War Vessels Building & Projected by Naval Service Headquarters (D. N. C. Dept.) 1943-45:-Glenbrook [C.N.889] built by Russel Bros., Owen Sound, Ontario (Also listed as Glen Brook). GAO Notes: Steel diesel tug Glenbrook [C.371769] built in l944 at Owen Sound by Russel Bros; rebuilt in l980: registered at Hamilton, ON. owned by McKeil Work Boats Ltd., Hamilton, ON. 81' x 21 ' x 9'; 91 g. t; 22 n.t. Dan McCormick Notes: October 11, 1995 Downbound Robert B. No. 1, Glenside and Glenbrook with dead ship Canadian Hunter for Montreal. GAO Notes: Sold out of the McKeil fleet in 2000 and went off lakes, possibly to the Bahamas. See clipping file for pics. See also James E. McGrath, Adam E. Cornelius [3], Elmore M. Misner and The Andrew B. clipping files for pics.  
CLICK FOR PHOTOS
PHOTOS

Glencove - See Consol II above. Canadian List of Shipping 1956: Glen Rover [C.176561] registered at Toronto; built at Owen Sound in 1944. 75’ 9 x 20’ 1 x 7’ 6; 98 g.t.; 6 n.t.; 400 hp. Built at Owen Sound in 1944 as a] HMCS Glencove 76’; 98 g.t. Renamed b] Consol II, and c] Glen Rover. Edison Horton notes: The Glencove was launched on June 10, 1944 at Owen Sound and commissioned on July 07, 1944. HMCS Glencove was declared surplus after 1945 and was sold to Anticosti Shipping Co., Ltd., Montreal, and renamed Consol II ca. 1946. In 1953 she was sold to Canadian Dredge & Dock Co., Ltd., Toronto, and renamed GlenRover. In 1986 she was sold to Marlin Marine in Vancouver, repowered to 855 hp. At the present time (2006) she is up for sale by her present owners, Gemini Marine Services, still registered under the same name, GlenRover.  
CLICK FOR PHOTOS
PHOTOS

Glendower - Melba Croft Notes from Particulars of Canadian War Vessels Building & Projected: Glendower [C.N.452] launched 19/5/1943. Owen Sound Daily Sun-Times, June 19, 1943, p.1 :Launch of the Glendower by Russel Bros. Details and pic. Canadian Transportation, September 1947, page 533: W.A.C. Sales of Surplus Ships: 3 tugs Glendower, Roseville, Auburnville - Marine Industries Ltd., Montreal, Que.  
CLICK FOR PHOTO
PHOTOS

H.M.C.S. Glendyne - Particulars of Canadian War Vessels Building & Projected by Naval Service Headquarters (D. N. C. Dept.) 1943 - 1945: Glendyne [C.N.891] built in 1945 by Russel Bros., Owen Sound, Ontario. One of the workhorse Glen Class tugs that helped large Royal Canadian Navy ships enter and leave Halifax. GLENDYNE was sunk in 1957 while berthing the aircraft carrier HMCS MAGNIFICENT. She was girted, that is pulled over by the carrier's mooring lines. The tug's cook was trapped inside and drowned. A seaman later died in hospital. A naval inquiry blamed communication problems between the carrier and tugs. GLENDYNE was refloated a few days later and returned to serve the navy until the 1979 when she was retired and later sunk as a diver training site in Eastern Passage, Bedford Basin, Halifax Harbour. GLENDYNE was previously sunk in 1957 during a berthing accident but raised and contined to serve the navy until she retired in 1979. After retirement she was deliberately sunk as a training site for Navy Divers at Eastern Passage. Her wheelhouse was saved and installed on the wharf of the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic where it provides a ticket booth for BLUENOSE II when she is in port.  
CLICK FOR PHOTOS
PHOTOS

H.M.C.S. Gleneagle from Tugbitts 13-4: The Gleneagle was one of the 85 foot harbour tugs in the Canadian Navy, with the maple leaf on her funnel. Compact, she was a fully equipped tug, with booms, boat, capstan, and towing arch. The Gleneagle is still afloat as a Canadian tug.  
CLICK FOR PHOTO
PHOTOS

H.M.C.S. Glenevis - Particulars of Canadian War Vessels Building & Projected by, Naval Service Headquarters (D. N. C. Dept.) 1943 - 1945: Glenevis [C.N.890] built by Russel Bros. Ltd., Owen Sound, Ontario. Canadian List of Ships 1994: Steel tug Glenevis [C.371772] registered at Hamilton. Built at Owen Sound in 1944. She measures 75’; 90 g.t.: 19 n.t. Owned by McKeil Work Boats Ltd., Hamilton, Ontario. Transport Canada List 2003: Owned by McKeil Work Boats Ltd., Hamilton, Ontario. 
CLICK FOR PHOTO
PHOTOS

Glenlea - Melba Croft Notes from Particulars of Canadian War Vessels Building & projected: Glenlea [C.N. 453] launched 20/7/1943. Canadian Transportation, July 1947, page 418: W.A.C. Ships Sales in April: 1 tug Glenlea – Foundation Maritime Ltd., Halifax, V.S. Canadian List of Shipping 1956: Bansaga [C.177437] registered at Halifax; built at Owen Sound in 1943. 73’ x 20’ x 7’ 6; 97 g.t.; 28 n.t.; 600 hp. Owned by Foundation Maritime Ltd., Halifax. Canadian List of Shipping 1970: Steel tug Bansaga [C.177437] registered at Halifax; built at Owen Sound in 1943. 73’; 97 g.t. Renamed b] George N. Carleton. Moran’s Shoreside Companion 1996: Tug George N. Carleton [C.177437] built by Russel Brothers Ltd., Owen Sound, Ontario for the Government of Canada as Bansaga 1943 – 1947; sold to Foundation Maritime Ltd. 1947 – 1964. Reconstructed repowered and given present name b] George N. Carleton 1964 – present. Owned by Gravel & Lake Services Ltd., Thunder Bay Ontario. Stationed at Thunder Bay. Jaap Bilj Notes: Launched as Glenlea for the Royal Canadian Navy. 
CLICK FOR PHOTO
PHOTOS

Glenlivet - Melba Croft Notes from Particulars of Canadian War Vessels Building & Projected: Glenlivet [C.N. 796]. Canadian List of Ships 1994 - 95: Steel diesel tug Glenlivet II [C.179311] ex - Canadian Franko (1980 renamed by McKeil when they acquired her); registered at Chatham, Ontario; built at Owen Sound in 1944. She measures 77'; 111 g.t.; 43 n.t. Owned by Royal Bank of Canada, 1 Place Ville Marie, Montreal. GAO Notes: Sold to Nadro Marine Services, Port Dover, Ontario in 2001. Canadian List of Shipping 1956: Glenlivet II [C.179311] registered at St. John, N. B.; built at Owen Sound in 1944. 76'8 x 20'9 x 10'2; 115 g.t.; 60 n.t.; 400 hp. Owned by The Minister of National Defense (Navy), Ottawa. Canadian List of Shipping 1970: Steel tug Glenlivet II [C.179311] registered at St. John, N. B. Built at Owen Sound in 1944. 77'; 111 g.t. GAO Notes: Sold to Nadro Marine Services and renamed Vigilant 1 in 2002. Transport Canada List 2003: Owned by Nadro Marine Services Ltd., Port Dover, Ontario.  
CLICK FOR PHOTO
PHOTOS

Glenmont - Melba Croft Notes from Particulars of Canadian War Vessels Building & Projected: Glenmont [C.N. 533] launched 27/10/1948. Canadian Transportation, July 1947, page 418: W.A.C. Ship Sales in April: 1 tug Glenmont - Department of Public Works, St. John's, Nfld. Canadian List of Shipping 1956. Glenmont [C.178534] registered at St. John's, Nfld.; built at Owen Sound in 1943. 75’9 x 20’1 x 7’6; 102 g.t.; 34 n.t.; 320 hp. Owned by The Minister of Public Works for the Province of Newfoundland, St. John's, Nfld. Steel tug Glenmont [C.178534] was built by Russel Bros. Ltd., at Owen Sound, Ontario in 1943. Launched on August 27, 1943. Registered at St. John's, Nfld. She measures 76'; 102 gross tons. Canadian List of Ships 1997: Owned by Shepherd Boats Ltd. Rexdale, Ontario. Transport Canada List 2003: Owned by Shepherd Boats Ltd. GAO Notes: Owned by John Jones, Toronto 1994 - 2000. Sold to Mac Mokerchuk and John Winney. Renamed b] Carolina Borealis in 2002 and registered as a new build. 
CLICK FOR PHOTO
CLICK FOR PHOTO
PHOTOS

H.M.C.S. Glenora - Melba Croft Notes from Particulars of Canadian War Vessels Building, & Projected, Glenora [C.N. 532] launched 18/9/1943. H.M.C.S. tug Glenora [Navy] See file in this folder. Launch story filed in Russel Bros. clipping file.

Glen Rover - See Consol II above. Canadian List of Shipping 1956: Glen Rover [C.176561] registered at Toronto; built at Owen Sound in 1944. 75’ 9 x 20’ 1 x 7’ 6; 98 g.t.; 6 n.t.; 400 hp. Built at Owen Sound in 1944 as a] HMCS Glencove 76’; 98 g.t. Renamed b] Consol II, and c] Glen Rover. Edison Horton notes: The Glencove was launched on June 10, 1944 at Owen Sound and commissioned on July 07, 1944. HMCS Glencove was declared surplus after 1945 and was sold to Anticosti Shipping Co., Ltd., Montreal, and renamed Consol II ca. 1946. In 1953 she was sold to Canadian Dredge & Dock Co., Ltd., Toronto, and renamed GlenRover. In 1986 she was sold to Marlin Marine in Vancouver, repowered to 855 hp. At the present time (2006) she is up for sale by her present owners, Gemini Marine Services, still registered under the same name, GlenRover.  
CLICK FOR PHOTOS
PHOTOS

Glenshiel - See Lotbiniere. below. Transport Canada List, 2003: Owned by Glenshiel Towing Co Ltd., Vancouver, B.C.

Glenside - Design #251. Hull #486. 80' x 20' "Glen" class Harbour Tug. Power: 400 hp Enterprise engine. Royal Canadian Navy. Particulars of Canadian War Vessels Building & Projected by Naval Service Headquarters (D. N. C. Dept.) 1943 - 1945: Glenside [C.N.888] built by Russel Bros., Owen Sound, Ontario; launched 10/6/1944. GAO Notes: Steel Diesel tug Glenside [C.371770] built in 1944 at Owen, Sound; rebuilt in 1979. Registered at Hamilton. Owned by McKeil Marine Ltd. Acquired by them from Remorqueurs et Barges Montreal Ltd., Valleyfield, Quιbec. See file in this folder and clipping file for pics. See also James E. McGrath clipping file for pic.  
CLICK FOR PHOTO
PHOTOS

 

For more Russel exhibits visit Owen Sound Marine & Rail Museum 1165 1st Ave West, Owen Sound, ON N4K 4K8
(519) 371-3333     http://marinerail.com